Monday, January 29, 2018

How dare I make them work!

The title at least says in words what the looks on the students' faces seem to be telling me.  The students spent a good part of today studying hard for tomorrow's final, which is why I did not force any of them to write a blog post today.

I know that study breaks were had, and were spent going to the market, finding one last chimney cake (or two, if your name rhymes with Schmandrew), and generally finding a little time to enjoy the SUN and the uncharacteristically warm 50+ degree temperature outside.

What do the professor and Uncle Bruce do with their time you don't ask?  Bruce and I both pretended that today was a work day, and started by going in to school to do a few things.  Bruce did some research, while I pretended to make slow progress on writing the final exam and also writing several letters of recommendation which are due in the near future.  Being in Budapest doesn't quite absolve me of those "at home" duties. Then, I returned to my favorite Budapest cafe for an extra-strength cappuccino, where I continued to work (albeit quite slowly).

This afternoon, I surprised the languishing studiers by buying them an afternoon treat.  Every day when we walk by the Lipoti bakery, I point out the HUGE loaves of peasant bread on the top of the shelf and tell the students "You should get one of those, it would be awesome."  But no one ever does.  So today was the day and that was their afternoon snack (complete with a tub of Nutella).

Here is a picture of Penelope with the bread, so you can see just how large it is (Penelope is a normal-sized person).  The loaf weighs over 6 pounds and costs about $4.50 total.  Not a bad way to please 21 hungry Oles.

Tomorrow we start with a test and finish with a feast...until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment